Grade: not graded
Time: 40 minutes
Length: as appropriate
Submit: to this forum
Part One – Group
You are planning to introduce a unit that will allow students to create content, exhibit it on the web, and then discuss this content online with their classmates. You have decided that the only way to confidently enter into this medium is to generate a safety plan.
In groups of 3 or 4 sketch out the online activity you are planning for and the grade level that it is aimed at. Then work through steps 1, 2 and 3 below. Put a post that outlines your activity plus your results for each of these steps into a post in the ‘Safety Plan’ Moodle Forum.
- Risk Assessment
- see the Safeguarding Children Online handout from BECTA
- Develop strategies to avoid and mitigate risk
- Create a plan for safe use of technology
- specifies perceived risks and adopted avoidance and mitigation strategies
- includes info for parents
- includes specific instructions to students
- includes specific steps or parameters that you (or other instructors) will use to setup and/or guide this learning
- includes info for administrators
Part Two – Individual
Review the safety plans submitted by other groups and post constructive comments or questions about:
- the risks they described – do you think they missed any?
- the risk avoidance or mitigation strategies they included in their plan – do you think they would be effective, are there other strategies you might include?
Return to the discussion thread for your group’s safety plan and engage with your critics as appropriate.